Block is an IT innovation business, offering expert consultancy, business transformation and managed services that empower clients to aspire and succeed. Combining deep vertical market expertise with proven technical capability, we work in partnership with our clients to deliver impactful, measurable and sustainable business outcomes ensuring investment priorities are effectively aligned to strategic objectives. Our solutions and services help clients across enterprise, commercial and public sectors to increase productivity, accelerate growth and deliver outstanding user experiences through technology.
The Junior Software Developer is primarily responsible for the continuous development and evolution of Block’s core application product set. This individual listens to market response, and interfaces with key internal personnel to prioritise features, devise sprint plans and deliver the new features to customers. The Junior Software Developer supports bringing new products and services to market across a broad spectrum of products that originate from partners and the start-up community.
- Contributes to and supports the overall Block application development roadmap
- Supports Block’s Innovation Lead(s) in the development of new ideas through to a ‘minimum viable product’ state
- Undertakes development and testing of new functions and features for current application stack in line with customer needs
- Examines the market landscape to identify evolving customer needs and proactively adapts process to meet and exceed them
- Identify opportunities to drive improvements across the application stack
- Interfaces with Block’s Operations Team to enable the support of new software releases
- Works with the Sales and Marketing Team to develop knowledge, and enable the consistent positioning of Block applications externally
Skills & Attributes
- Able to prioritise workload and set expectations and/or timescales clearly both internally and externally
- Takes time to study and understand the market landscape in order to drive improvements to our offerings
- Shares knowledge with colleagues across departments in order to develop internal knowledge of the application propositions
- Develops strong internal relationships, and engages well with stakeholders at varying levels of seniority
- Has a proactive, can-do attitude with a diligent and considered approach to all tasks undertaken
- Able to collaborate effectively with team members across various technology practices
- Works with passion and enthusiasm to develop solutions that deliver impact and make a difference to the clients we work with
- Ability to work independently with direction, managing own time and resource to deliver the necessary outcomes
Qualifications & Experience
- Demonstrable experience of application development and programming
- Experience of deploying applications for customer use
- Understanding of Python programming language
- Has an understanding of Splunk and its capabilities
- Experience in user interface design and layout.
- An understanding of Agile methodologies in delivering applications
- Has an appreciation of DevOps Methodologies and Technologies
- Native Android / iOS experience
- Experience with Linux based environments
Location: Crewe or London
Type: Permanent, Full Time
Hours of Work: 37.5 per week Mon-Fri
Salary: Negotiable from £20k DOE, plus extensive benefits package and discretionary bonus scheme
If you’ve something you’re particularly proud of that helps demonstrate your capability, please include it here – we’d love to take a look! Don’t forget to share all the reasons you feel you’d be a great fit for this role and Block, along with your CV.
Block is an equal opportunities employer, committed to providing equal opportunities regardless of race or ethnic origin, gender identity, family situation, sexual orientation, disability, religion or age. This person specification is designed to help members of Interviewing Panels judge the qualities of interviewees in a systematic and consistent way and in accordance with Block’s equal opportunities policy.