What is Ocellus?
Architected by healthcare experts, Ocellus is Block’s Next Generation eConsultation platform that provides an intuitive end-to-end, easy to use, secure platform that removes the complexities often encountered when booking, hosting, using or securing services.
Even before the Covid-19 crisis, health and care providers have been continually tasked with developing new and sustainable means of reducing waiting times, whilst improving the experience and meeting patient expectations in terms of ease and convenience. This is against a backdrop of a system under immense pressure, with considerable inefficiency built into it through cancellations and ‘Did Not Attends’ (DNAs).
The traditional model of care is simply not able to cope with the increased burdens and expectations of today. The NHS Long Term plan suggested that, from 2024, patients will have a new ‘right’ to access digital primary care services, for example online consultations, either via their existing practice or one of the emerging digital-first providers. The current crisis has sped up the need for services such as Ocellus.
Why Ocellus for the NHS?
Many NHS organisations have challenges integrating the various technology components required to implement online consultations in a cohesive and effective way. This often results in unnecessary delays, frustrating user experiences and an unwillingness to try the service again, causing adoption failures.
Ocellus has been developed and standardised specifically for health and care environments, the platform can work very effectively out of the box and is highly configurable to meet your exact requirements.
Ocellus will be able to slot into existing workflows, with HL7 and FHIR compliance enabling tight integration with existing Patient Administration Systems (PAS) platforms. The unique ‘connector’ concept enables you to benefit from any existing video conferencing infrastructure, ensuring you maximise any previous investments.
Ocellus has been designed to deliver a similar user experience to both clinicians and patients, so should patients have any difficulty navigating the interface, clinicians are easily able to help.
What are the key benefits of Ocellus?
It is important to note that due to the current COVID-19 crisis we have accelerated the launch of the platform, so whilst we are confident in the resilience and functionality of Ocellus, all of the features mentioned below may not be immediately available.
- Make video calls between clinician and patient and ensure the call is time bound.
- Provide a virtual waiting room, allowing the patient to be managed by an administrative member of staff before the engagement with the clinician.
- A virtual waiting room that can be used for targeted clinical/public health messaging.
- Appointments can be booked via the platform’s user interface, allowing staff to book clinics with integration to the Trust’s PAS.
- Allow clinicians and administrators to define the device(s) that can be used for each interaction.
- A Software as a Service model, with Pay As You Go options, that ensures no barrier to entry and no requirement for significant upfront capital investment.
- A reporting capability to allow you to understand specialty usage and therefore attribute performance and costs by specialty and clinician.
- The ability for clinicians to add pre and post appointment questionnaires, for patients to provide information on their condition and experience.
- Provide MDT type virtual clinics to allow multiple clinicians of different specialties, as well as patients and their carers to engage.
- Support forums for patients with conditions through Multi-Disciplinary Teams (MDTs) and Instant Messaging (IM) style functionality.
- Built in line with NHS Digital Clinical Risk Management standards (DCB 0129 and DCB 0160).
Block is an IT innovation business, offering expert consultancy, business transformation and managed services that help healthcare organisations to define and achieve their digital aspirations.
We combine our deep vertical insight with proven technical expertise, and work in partnership with our clients to deliver impactful, measurable and sustainable business change through technology.
If you’d like to find out more about how Block can help you with your requirements, please call +44 (0)84 4967 1646.